THE REAL CHOICE BEHIND DRINKING
Most government and media don’t understand why young people drink so much. Everyone keeps speculating but the reality is they have no idea what it takes for a young person to NOT binge drink. For a young person to shift their established drinking behaviour is a choice they also make subconsciously to accept the following…
1) one by one take away all their friends. If they drank to excess before, then they most likely will have friends that drank at similar levels.
2) you subject them to an endless chorus of peer pressure to drink. Every night. Everytime. Everywhere.
3) you remove any possible career connection possibly made over a couple of lagers on a business trip. The long lunch is now out.
4) subject them to copious snide critisisms by their parents and siblings that still like to drink and find thier change in behaviour confronting.
5) tell them to sit back and watch their collegues build stronger connections with each other at Friday afternoon drinks, which ultimately they will get excluded from.
6) remove one night stands out of the picture which are no longer an ethically valid idea as the other party is invariably drunk.
7) tell them to rebuild their confidence levels from scratch.
8) tell them to go against their national identity.
9) tell them to not drink yet watch older generations continue to behave in exactly the way they are condeming. Double standards.
10) tell them to have to bottle up their emotions and then have to learn a whole new way of expressing themselves.
11) tell them to be conscious 100% of the time.
12) take away their social right of passage
13) take away their ability to dance or sing or meet new people.
This is what you are telling them to do when you ask them to change their drinking behaviour. I think we need more than a TVC, a 2am lockdown and a collection of people handing out red frogs.
What do you think?